Monday, April 14, 2008

Olivia's First Day of Preschool


I had been having such a hard time with Olivia for the last few months. She was fighting Craig and I on everything. Yelling, throwing fits, would not go to bed, you name it we had a hard time with it. We were stumped on what to do with her. Part of me thought she had a behavior disorder and part of me felt like it was just the age. I talked to her doctor and after discussing some problems we were having with her, he told me nicely, but bluntly, that she was running our lives. Man! I felt like such a sucker! Letting our three year old run us! But, right after I talked with him, I did a few things he suggested and she already was improving. Then, my sister's friend was having the same type of problems with her daughter and someone had recommended to her that she put her daughter in preschool. She did and saw really great results. A fantastic woman in my ward teaches the music in our nursery. I am one of the nursery leaders and I knew by word of mouth that she taught preschool out of her house. I called her up a few weeks ago to ask her about her school. She was so nice and let me come by and take a look at her classroom and told me that she was accepting students and would be happy to take Olivia the last few months of the year. I was so excited! Craig and I decided to put her in the class and she has been a whole different kid ever since! It's a little pricy, but it was well worth it! She loves her class and I love the break!

6 comments:

Tam Tam said...

Wait, so what were some of the things you implemented that the doctor told you to do?

That's great that you get a break! I should find something like that around here when Aspen gets a little older.

Craig, Sarah, Liv & Sev said...

Tamir
My biggest struggle was getting her to go to bed. She only would go to sleep if we sat on her floor. Which was crazy, because every single night one of us had to sit on the floor for at least 30minutes to an hour in order for her to go to sleep. If we did not sit on her floor she would go balistic and scream and cry for hours. So the Dr. told us to tell her that she had to go to bed and if she cried sorry. He told us not to acknowledge her at all. Regardless of what she wanted to say, he told us to just ignore her. So we did it. The first night she cried and carried on for about 45 minutes, the second about 15 mins, and the third about 5 minutes. We were just giving in to her screaming. It worked like a charm. I know, this may be something that most parents do anyway, but with this ordeal we were oblivious!

Murphy Mania said...

Sarah- when I was a nanny the little girl did the EXACT same thing. She was also 3 so it might have been partly an age thing. The only problem was it wasn't my kid and there was no consistency with the parents so I had to just keep sitting in her room night after night. So frustrating! I'm glad that you guys have reclaimed "boss" status. :-)

Alisa said...

Nighttime is definitely a hard fight. I'm glad you got good advice that actually worked for you. I wouldn't trade preschool for anything. Kids get a great opportunity to learn the school rules and listen to their teachers with real consequences. Sure the academic stuff is great, but the structured routine and respect for authority is my favorite part. Preschool has been a really great experience for us.

Kelly Jensen said...

Sarah,
I am amazed! I think we should all find little preschools for our kidlets! I am so glad you have a great dr. with good advice too. Sounds like your just saved your bacon too! XOXOXO

Kelly Jensen said...

So... I want to know the secret to keeping your info while changing your background... help a sister out! I hear you'll be back here next week. Ihope I get to see you.