Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mothering vs. Fashion


I have a confession to make.
I have the hardest time letting Olivia wear whatever she wants!
I find myself trying to make another shirt sound a little more enticing than the one she has chosen, or bribing her if she would let me put pig tails in her hair. Crazy isn't it?
I know that it helps her creativity and individuality if she is able to choose. And I think it makes her feel important if she gets a choice.
But it is SO hard!
I always want her to look super cute, with matching clothes, shoes, and hair accessories.
She is all about comfort. And she has to have socks on with any pair of shoes that she picks. Wether it be sandals, flats, etc.
She does not like anything in her hair. She has got some crazy hair, it does not just flow if you don't do anything with it.
I have tried to make a concious decision to let her pick out whatever she wants (in moderation) and just let it fly.
As you can see, this is my favorite outfit so far. Love the plaid with the floral.

4 comments:

What the "Hales" said...

i hear ya sista!! I feel the same way with my girls. It drives me nuts that Chloe won't keep a bow in her hair. And Its a fight to do sophies hair everyday!! I just have to let some messy hair days just fly!! But believe me I feel your anxiety. Ok maybe I just feel that.

Alisa said...

So it's a little easier with boys. No one expects them to look good :) But I do have my favorite outfits that I would like them to wear of course. My favorite is when they pull out the clothes that are too small. Love the floods or the tight, tight shirts.

Jeni said...

With such a hip mom, this phase can't last too long! Lucy is just starting to take all of her bows out so I am starting to get a glimpse of what you are going through.

Kelly Jensen said...

I agree-- you've got great taste, so I am sure she is just trying to get there... you're doing great1 I think this is a good sign-- practice makes perfect right??? Just give her a couple of years and she'll be spot-on!